Perspective through the lens

Perspective Through the Lens

while watching the video, "ways of seeing" by John Berger, I picked up two particular insights that were pretty obvious to me, but never truly thought about until just now. The video presented was intriguing because Berger was talking about basic facts of how we see art through a camera lens, then on my computer itself which I loved that he addressed. 

One insight that I picked up on was just that. An image can be delivered directly from the painting itself, onto a lens and from that lens, the image can be displayed anywhere thats everywhere and that is where it will belong once placed. Our perspective of something borders the lens, creating the image that can be transported to basically everywhere in which it can be held. I like that he spoke of how the image being displayed on my computer almost belonged to me in my setting, but then goes on to interpret how the image belongs to wherever it may be shown at this exact given time. 

Another insight that I loved was when Berger spoke about the renaissance churches and the paintings that were on the interior of the building. The paintings now belonged to the church, telling its'' story and history as if the paintings were born and raised right there. When you walk into any church, there are always paintings that are recognizable because they are most likely to be placed in our homes, then belonging to the interior of a house and shows a family's religion or story of its' foundation. 

I appreciated this video along with the short amount of reading that I read because of its' simplicity. It was easy to watch and understand while giving me a huge insight of how we visualize art. I think anyone can be able to watch Ways of Seeing and have a much deeper appreciation for art and its' beauty around the world. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3D Printing

Visual Analysis

Time and Imagination